Over 35 years of experience in the telecommunications industry comprising of:
- GL ICT Consulting (2017-) Principal Consultant/business owner advising businesses on ICT strategy and transformation programs
- Ericsson Australia (2001-2017) with experience, as a Principal Consultant, in advising telecom operators on transformation programs and technology-business strategy across multiple technology domains including Optical Transmission, Internet, Mobility, TV & Media and Cloud
- Telstra Corporation (1982-2001) with experience in engineering development, operations management, product management and technology-business strategy development including an executive role with responsibilities for planning Telstra’s Data Product Portfolio and introduction of new services to the Australian business marketTelstra Corporation (1982-2001) with experience in engineering development, operations management, product management and technology-business strategy development including an executive role with responsibilities for planning Telstra’s Data Product Portfolio and introduction of new services to the Australian business market
“Top 3” Value Add / Key Skills / Strengths:
- Technology-Business Strategy – scoping and leading consultancies for determining the business impact of new and emerging technologies.
- Transformation Programs – leading/advising/delivering to achieve business outcomes;
- Outsourcing & Contracting – managing complexities from both client and vendor perspectives by working with legal and commercial specialists;
Other Key Skills / Strengths:
- Complex Program scoping and establishment – business requirements elicitation, co-ordination with multiple project teams and technical domains;
- Interpersonal, communication and presentation skills up to C-Level;
- Business development – identifying and following-up new sales opportunities with account teams;
- Finance – understanding budgeting, forecasting, financial ratios and indicators, writing and/or reviewing business cases;
- Marketing – segmentation, analysis and planning;
- Self-development (Masters in Information Systems);
- People – coaching, mentoring and developing people.
- Lead Consultant for 5G Mobile Technology-Business Strategy Consulting for Australian telco – leading to $xxM business for Ericsson
- Lead Consultant for TV & Media Consulting (Assess/Recommend/Establish Program) for Australian telco – leading to $xxM business for Ericsson
- Bid Manager for TV & Media Cloud solution for Australian telco – leading to $xxM business for Ericsson
- Lead Consultant for Fibre/Optical backbone transport program for Australian mobile operator – improved relationship, program performance leading to $xxM for Ericsson
- Lead Technical Advisor for Australian Government Regional Backbone Blackspots Program Tender for the Department for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy (DBCDE), in collaboration with Business and Legal firms (KPMG and Clayton Utz). Tender value of $250M successfully awarded.
- Technology-Business Manager for Telstra Data Product Portfolio, developed Telstra’s first Internet age product strategy, as published in Telecommunications Journal of Australia Vol 46 / No1 1996. Portfolio value $1B.
- Established and grew Telstra’s first managed router services offering from $1Mpa to $24Mpa in 3 years
Personal / Volunteering:
- Served as a Director of the Tenants Union of Victoria Ltd ACN 081 348 227 for 6 years from February 2010 to February 2016
- Past President (July 2003 – 2005) – Toastmasters International, Telstra Exhibition Club No 7293.
- Masters of Information Systems (2016) – Melbourne University
- Graduate Certificate in Technology Management (1997) – Deakin University (with a Major in Marketing)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Electronics) (Honours) (1981) – Melbourne University
Awards & Recognition
- Ericsson (Australia); Strategic Customer Engagement Award (2011)
- Ericsson (Australia); Key Contributor Awards (multiple between 2001-2016)
- Telstra Certificate of Appreciation for NG-SDH Program Phase 1 & 2, 2005
- Young Achievement Australia – Business Advisor to Ericsson team, won Best Business Plan 2001
- QANTAS Network Re-Design Contract – Key Contributor Award, Telstra was also awarded the Best Supplier for 1999 award by QANTAS
An Infographic resume highlighting George’s 35 year career can be found here.